Pageviews past week

Saturday, October 23, 2010

I've Changed My Tune


I have very simple material needs and wants. I don't have closets full of shoes. I don't change my furniture every other year or decorate to excess. I could probably go several years on a spending fast if needs be. The exception to this is the inexplicable obsession I've had with Subarus for probably the last six years--maybe five really really seriously. In fact Subarus are the ONLY car I am truly aware of on America's highways. I seem to have a tracking device. The other day I felt one behind me on the highway, and sure enough there it was!!! I KNOW!! Somethiing about the shape just stirs my soul. Then the roof rack. Oh, I could go on and on. Here's another weird thing--I made up a song sung to the tune of "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear" which goes something like this: "I covet (you have to say that word quickly) your Subaru. I covet your Subaru. I covet your Su-u-ba-roo." Then I pretty much repeat thos lyrics over and over. I have been singing this song every time I see a Subaru. I even have begun approaching Subaru owners at the gas pump to "talk shop". I have been guilty of fantasy. And I cannot explain any of this. Perhaps it's because Subarus rule and reign in all the really cool places I like to go--Jackson Hole, Vermont, Maine, and Colorado. Most likely it's because of good memories with my friend Mary Jane in Vermont--mostly in the Fall, mostly in gorgeous remote Vermont mountains. I just think that if there's a "true" car, it's probably a Subaru. Could I have a drumroll, please. Turn the houselights on, Al. WE BOUGHT A SUBARU LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm weeping as I write this!!!! And I feel like I've come home!!!!!! To a home I never knew could even be!!!!!!!!!! I'll have to post pictures. She's 13! I know, I know, I'm going to have to put up with the teen-age thing. But I am so willing to let her belch in public, and pick her nose, and roll her eyes!!!!! Just as long as she lets me love her in the pure way that I really really want to!!!! This is actually my third, but the other two were pre-obsession--not much recollection.My tune has changed. Driving her home today, I sang (in a sort of Munchkin Lollipop Guild voice): "I adopted a Subaru! I adopted a Subaru. I adopted a Su-u-ba-roo!!!!!" Same tune, but oh so different lyrics...

5 comments:

Jill said...

For me it is the Ford Edge. Just out of curiosity I stopped to look at the price on the lot today. Talk about sticker shock!! Twice what we paid for our house!!! Even though we will most likely never get one, I still love them! Congratulations on your purchase. :)

Season said...

Hooray you got it! Congratulations to the new addition to the family.

Season said...

Hooray you got it! Congratulations to the new addition to the family.

Shelly said...

Well, you could've mentioned it in our conversation this afternoon. You mentioned the electric car coming soon....but you forgot to mention the new Sub?? What's her name?

Laura said...

I heart Subarus. I aspire to own one someday.

Funny story: I have some friends who love Subarus and thinks them superior to all other cars. But since they couldn't afford a new car, they named their 16-year-old Honda Accord "The Subaru"

Favorite books

  • Me 'n Steve
  • Thundering Sneakers
  • James Herriott's vet books
  • The Count of Monte Cristo
  • Travels with Charley
  • A Walk in the Woods
  • Peace Like a River
  • The Egg and I
  • Mary Poppins
  • Extremly Loud Incredibly Close
  • How Green Was my Valley