Pageviews past week

Monday, April 15, 2013

Countdown

The sum total of this madcap self-imposed marathon of events has been mostly private in nature.  Not that I haven't been vocal about it.  I have indeed!  To complete strangers and to my friends who are probably like, "Enough already!"  I read 60 books, blogged 60 posts, walked 60 miles, gave up sugar for 60 days, passed out 60 homemade cookies to 60 strangers today, read 60 children's books outloud, and gave away 60 of my possessions.  That's what it may have appeared I was thinking about this past year.  That's what it LOOKED like.  What it FELT like has been completely different.  I'm way too tired to wax eloquent here, and besides, that wasn't my point.  When I started thinking about what another decade would mean to me, I was running scared.  So there you have it.  My experiment has been nothing more than a distraction to keep me safe from addressing the real demon--my own mortality.  It's all been a smoke screen--something to keep my hands occupied while my mind was busy wrapping itself around aging.  Conclusions?  I don't think there's a book in it for me, but perhaps a chapter in a book.  Maybe that's all we can hope for--life gives us enough material for a really smashing chapter. 

2 comments:

Shelly said...

done! Deep breath.

Patti said...

You did it! Huzzah! I didn't realize you were going to give the 60 cookies to 60 strangers on your birthday. What a fun way to spend part of your day!

Favorite books

  • Me 'n Steve
  • Thundering Sneakers
  • James Herriott's vet books
  • The Count of Monte Cristo
  • Travels with Charley
  • A Walk in the Woods
  • Peace Like a River
  • The Egg and I
  • Mary Poppins
  • Extremly Loud Incredibly Close
  • How Green Was my Valley